ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT FOR ADULTS
Orthodontic treatment is no longer just for teens. In fact, the American Association of Orthodontists states that one in five orthodontic patients is over the age of 21.
Many adults are choosing to receive treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health, and they want to feel better about their appearance. Adults everywhere are taking advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care, and now you can too.
REASONS WHY ADULTS ARE CONSIDERING ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT
Adult orthodontic treatments are getting popular as they provide effective solutions for the following common dental health-related problems:
- Feeling pain and pressure in the jaw because of crooked teeth
- Teeth not fitting together properly because of malocclusion or a bad bite
- Improving dental health in general and getting a more confident smile
- Preventing gum disease, which is more common in adults than kids
- Preventing tooth decay due to teeth being crowded or separated
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
TREATMENT OPTIONS FOR ADULTS
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from receiving treatment. However, today’s orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of orthodontic treatment that are comfortable, aesthetic, and customized to meet your needs. Types of braces include:
- Clear braces
- Lingual braces (behind the tooth)
- Surgical Orthodontics
Click the link & try a smile SmileView
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ADULT ORTHODONTICS AND ORTHODONTICS FOR CHILDREN AND TEENS
The main difference to remember when treating adults or children and teens is that in younger patients, the jawbones are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may mean the possibility of orthognathic surgery to align the jawbones. Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time, teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment. As adults, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Our practice also recognizes that adults and children have different needs, and require different levels of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure you receive the most appropriate treatments, and your needs are met with understanding and respect from us.
WHY SHOULD YOU CONSIDER ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, and give you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse — Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it’s needed can create long-term health issues that cost you more in the end.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, please contact our practice to schedule an appointment. We understand you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.